Motor Trade Insurance

Get your motor trade business covered today with Kompare

Kompare will assist you every step of the way. We work and kompare prices from the UK’s leading motor trade insurers so you don’t have to.

Finding cheap motor trade insurance is just one click away.

  Vehicle Sales
  Breakdown / Recovery
  Road risks
  Windscreen repair
  Vehicle Delivery
  Breakers salvage
  Car Body Shop

Motor trade insurance is used by a wide range of businesses – from second-hand car dealers and mechanics, to breakdown recovery firms and cleaning services.

There are two main types of motor trade insurance policies: road risks or combined. When a motor trade business deals with customer vehicles, they are taking that vehicle into their possession. Motor trade insurance provides cover for businesses that have a customer’s vehicle under their care, custody or control. It also helps those involved in vehicle sales.

Motor trade insurance can cover an enormous range of businesses that work in all types of industries, meaning that policies can be tailored specifically for the individual.

What Are The Different Motor Trade Insurance Types?

When taking out a motor trade insurance policy, you’ll be asked which type of insurance you’d like to purchase that reflects your business. Here are your options:

Unsure About Which Insurance Type You Need?

If you’re unsure about which insurance you need to take out for your business, you can give one our specialist agents a call on 0800 812 1000 and they’ll be able to assist you with any questions that you may have. Alternatively, you can request for us to call you at a convenient time.

Frequently Asked Questions

We understand that taking out a motor trade insurance policy can seem quite daunting. That’s why we’ve put together a collection of FAQs to answer any questions that you may have.

Motor trade insurance is a special type of cover that’s designed for those who work in the motor trade industry. Those who work in the industry will have access to several vehicles and need to be able to drive them without any issues. Given that motor trade insurance can cover such a wide range of businesses, it’s essential that every policy is specifically tailored to each business.
In most cases, you can use your NCB on your policy. The majority of insurers will let you use your private or commercial NCB when taking out a motor trade insurance policy.
If you work with vehicles full-time or part-time, you will need some type of policy in order to make sure you’re legally covered if anything were to go wrong while working. If your profession includes the repair, maintenance or movement of vehicles, then you will need a motor trade insurance policy.
You will need to be over 25 in order to get a policy from a lot of insurers. There are some that require you to be younger and older, but typically 25 is the starting point. You will also need a valid full UK drivers licence and have the ability to prove that you work in the motor trade industry.
It’s definitely worth it. If you have employees, no matter how many or few, you’re legally obligated to get Employers Liability insurance. If you have customers come on to your premises, it’s worth having Public Liability insurance in case of anything happens to them. This is so you won’t be out of pocket. However, this is not a legal requirement.