Public Hire Insurance

Get back on the road today with a fully comprehensive policy

Kompare will assist you every step of the way. We work and kompare prices from the UK’s leading public hire insurers so you don’t have to.

Finding cheap public hire insurance is just one click away.


As a Public Hire Driver, you require specialist insurance allowing you to pick up customers from the street or a taxi rank. You’re also likely to work long hours during unsociable times. You want to ensure you have a policy in place to suit your specific needs.

It can be challenging to deal with traffic and driving boisterous passengers around on a daily basis. Throw in the fact that you’re driving more miles than the average driver and you can see why there is an increased risk of an accident. There’s a lot to take in as a public hire driver.

Whether you’re looking to improve your current policy or enquire about a new venture, Kompare will assist you every step of the way.

What Details Do I Need To Provide?


Details Of The Vehicle

You don’t need to know the exact model of your taxi. Enter your reg and we’ll automatically fill the details for you.


No Claims Bonus (NCB)

We’ll ask for how many years of NCB you have. You can also request this from your current insurance provider.

Named Drivers

We’ll need the personal and licence details of other drivers in order to add them to your policy.

Licence Details

We need to know the details of your licence, how long you’ve held the licence, and what type you hold.


Previous Claims

Have you been involved in any accidents or claims in the last 5 years?

Driving Convictions

If you have any points or disqualifications on your licence, we will need to know all of the details.

What Are The Different Levels Of Cover I Can Purchase?

When taking out a public hire insurance policy, you’ll be asked which type of cover you’d like to purchase. There are three levels of cover. Here are your options:

Fully Comprehensive

This is the most extensive level of cover available. It includes third-party, fire & theft. This protects you and other motorists from any damage you cause, as well as covering medical expenses.

Third-Party, Fire & Theft

This level of cover helps you if you’re responsible for damage to other people, passengers or their property and it will cover the cost of repairs. You are also covered if your vehicle gets stolen or damaged by fire. HOWEVER, if you’re responsible for an accident, this level of cover will not help pay for repairs to your vehicle or any medical expenses, you will have to pay the costs.

Third-Party Only

This is the most basic level of cover you can purchase and the lowest that it legally required. This will help pay for any damage you cause to other vehicles and property. There is no cover for you or your vehicle. If your vehicle is damaged or stolen, you won’t be able to claim back the cost.

Unsure About Which Cover You Need?

If you’re unsure about which policy you need to take out, you can give one our specialist agents a call on 0800 812 1000 and they’ll be able to assist you with any questions that you may have. Alternatively, you can request for us to call you at a convenient time.

Sounds Like This Doesn’t Apply To You?

Not a problem.

We understand that a lot of professions in the Taxi industry can overlap. That’s why we have the facilities in place to find the right policy that’s tailor made for you. If you’re in the wrong place, choose one of the alternative professions below and we’ll take you straight to the page you’re looking for.

  Black Cabs
 Private Hire
 Mini Cabs
 Taxi Fleet
 Hackney Carriage

Frequently Asked Questions

We understand that taking a public hire insurance policy can seem quite daunting. That’s why we’ve put together a collection of FAQs to answer any questions that you may have.

Well, if you work on a taxi rank or from the street and you pick up customers who haven’t pre-booked their journey with you, you will need public hire insurance.
You can with some insurers. However, the majority of the insurers that we work with will only insure you if you’re 25 and over. Don’t let that put you off though, there are insurers who will allow you to take out a policy with them. Just expect to pay more than those who are 25+.
A typical policy will cover you in the event of fire, theft and accidental damage caused to your vehicle. You can purchase additional coverage for things like public liability, windscreen repair and use of your vehicle in the EU. Speak to your insurer about including these items on your policy.
It’s more expensive for a number of reasons. Your taxi can be hailed from the street at any time, often operating late into the night, and you’ll deal with a range of disorderly customers. This increases the risks involved for the driver.